Site Logo

November COVID Lockdown

Following the Prime Minister’s announcement on Saturday 31st October, a second national lockdown has come into effect from 00.01 Thursday 5th November for four weeks. Please see below clarification of some of the points 

What businesses must close?
  • Restaurants, including restaurants and dining rooms in hotels or members’ clubs.
  • Cafes
  • Bars, including bars in hotels or members’ clubs.
  • Social clubs.
  • Cinemas.
  • Theatres.
  • Nightclubs, dance halls and discotheques
  • Bingo halls.
  • Concert halls.
  • Museums and galleries.
  • Casinos, betting shops and adult gaming centres.
  • Spas, Nail, beauty salons, hair salons and barbers, Tanning salons, Massage parlours, Tattoo and piercing parlours.
  • Sexual entertainment venues, hostess bars.
  • Skating rinks.
  • Indoor leisure facilities: dance studios, fitness studios, gyms, sports courts, swimming pools, bowling alleys, amusement arcades, playgrounds or soft play areas or other indoor leisure centres or facilities, including indoor games, recreation and entertainment venues.
  • Circuses, funfairs and fairgrounds (whether outdoors or indoors), theme parks and adventure parks and activities.
  • Outdoor sports centres or amenities, including water sports, stables, shooting and archery venues, golf courses, driving ranges, outdoor gyms, outdoor swimming pools, water parks and aquaparks.
  • All non-essential retail
  • Outdoor markets
  • Showrooms and other premises, including outdoor areas, used for the sale or hire of caravans, boats or any vehicle which can be propelled by mechanical means, and car washes. 27. Auction houses (except for auctions of livestock or agricultural equipment).
  • Model villages.
  • Visitor attractions at film studios.
  • Aquariums, zoos, safari parks, farms, wildlife centres and any place where animals are exhibited to the public as an attraction.
  • Indoor areas at visitor attractions such as— botanical or other gardens, biomes or greenhouses; stately or historic homes, castles or other heritage sites; landmarks, including observation wheels or viewing platforms; sculpture parks.
  • Conference centres and exhibition halls, so far as they are used to host conferences, exhibitions, trade shows, private dining events or banquets, other than conferences or events which are attended only by employees of the person who owns or is responsible for running the conference centre or exhibition hall.
Can public toilets remain open?
  • Yes, public toilets can remain open. The definition of indoor attraction does not include toilets for visitors so toilet facilities will be able to remain open to serve visitors to the outdoor areas at botanical or other gardens; stately or historic homes; castles or other heritage sites; landmarks or sculpture parks

The legislation also states that businesses “consisting of the provision of holiday accommodation, whether in a hotel, hostel, bed and breakfast accommodation, holiday apartment, home, cottage or bungalow, campsite, caravan park or boarding house, canal boat or any other vessel must cease to carry on that business” except for the exceptions set out below

Who Can Stay in Visitor Accommodation?

Visitor accommodation may continue to operate for the following exceptions:

  • (a) to provide accommodation for any person, who—

(i) is unable to return to their main residence
(ii) uses that accommodation as their main residence
(iii) needs accommodation while moving house
(iv) needs accommodation to attend a funeral
(v) is isolating themselves from others as required by law
(vi) is an elite athlete, the coach of an elite athlete, or (in the case of an elite athlete who is a child), the parent of an elite athlete, and needs accommodation for the purposes of training or competition,

  • (b) to provide accommodation for any person who needs accommodation for the purposes of their work
  • (c) to provide accommodation for any child who requires accommodation for the purposes of education
  • (d) to provide accommodation for the purposes of a women’s refuge or a vulnerable person’s refuge
  • (e) to provide accommodation or support services for the homeless
  • (f) to provide accommodation for any person who was staying in that accommodation immediately before these Regulations came into force
  • (g) to host blood donation sessions
  • (h) for any purpose requested by the Secretary of State, or a local authority.

Note: (f) allows people to stay on in the accommodation if they were before the lockdown came into force – so people don’t have to return home immediately.

Can People Staying in Accommodation Use the Restaurant or Bar?
  • Accommodation operators with bars and restaurants can sell food and drink via takeaway or delivery for consumption off the premises between 05:00 and 22:00 but must keep the restaurant and bar areas closed. Food and drink served to people legally staying in the property must be via room
What are the rules around takeaway food and drink?
  • Bars, cafes and restaurants can sell food and drink (but not alcohol) via takeaway or delivery for consumption off the premises between 05:00 and 22:00.
  • Alcohol sales and food and drink sales between 22:00 – 05:00 are permitted for collection if ordered in advance through a website or other on-line communication, by telephone, including orders by text message, or by post and they do not enter the premises.
Can Work Meetings Still Take Place?
  • There is an exemption to the restrictions on gatherings for certain purposes including work meetings, training and education. We expect the forthcoming guidance to provide more clarity on the circumstances and limitations on such meetings.